Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Is it because I can or because I have to?

I just read something in Bible Study and I thought I would share it, with who you ask? Well, you, for starters and anyone else that might need it today! I am slowly doing Tammie Head's study, "Duty or Delight". It is great! I have never thought about some of the things that she mentions, but it is nice to remember that I am not the first and definitely won't be the last Christian to act out of guilt and not conviction. The coolest part though, the part that brings me to tears and makes me want to write as fast as my fingers can move is this: I don't have to be perfect for God, Jesus has already achieved that necessary perfection for me. All I have to do is trust and walk. The guilt that I feel at times when my walk is lacking is not from God. It is satan trying to cause a massive stumble, because when I feel guilty I began to act out of a sense of duty and not because I am madly, desperately in love with my Jesus. I don't often think about the difference between guilt and conviction, but today because of this study I find myself bouncing several thoughts around in my head. When I feel guilty about my behavior or things I am not doing I will usually attempt to correct the behavior myself or do whatever it is I am feeling guilty for not doing. It is usually to no avail, because guilt is not a proper motivator. It simply makes me feel farther away from everything. However, when the Holy Spirit convicts, that feeling is different. It makes me feel wanted. Sure, it may bother me because at times I/we choose consciously to make bad/wrong decisions, but the alternative is not something I ever want to experience. I would rather be convicted by the Spirit everyday than ever be separated from my "dad". Several things I read today made total sense, but the one idea that so far makes the most sense and seems to be causing my heart to dance is this; when I act out of a feeling of duty or obligation I am missing out on the best part- the love relationship between He and I. Guilt leads to shame but for me conviction leads to repentance and an even deeper walk with He who daily saves me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment